Sunday, July 5, 2009

Papermaking with Plants


Last weekend, I taught papermaking with plants for the first time in MANY years, and it was really fun. We processed kozo from cooking all the way through drying the sheets. I brought wheat straw, which I'd cooked and beaten in my blender, and we compared those sheets with pulp we processed in a blender and beat by hand. One student brought cattails, which we cooked, hand beat and made into sheets.

We also made vegetable papyrus from daikon, carrots, peppers and onions.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Helen:
    Looks like a great workshop. Still looking foward to coming sometime.

    I have some kozo, but feeling a little intimidated about cooking it. What do you use to break down the plant? Trying to find something that is not toxic... Can't seem to get over the fear that cooking plants require hazards to my health...

    Looking forward to seeing you in October.
    Blessings,
    Rosalind

    ReplyDelete